Founded in 2012, our mission is to provide education on the symptoms and risk factors of ovarian cancer and to provide supportive services to women with ovarian and gynecologic cancer and their families.
Our core values are principles which are deeply ingrained in the Ovarian Cancer Project’s culture and guide all of our actions. We will not compromise them for convenience or short-term economic gain. They are the compass which guides the us in decision making and a source of distinctiveness which cannot be compromised.
- Hope – Through education, support, and advocacy.
- Constancy – Lifelong support, beyond the treatment phase
- Welcome – All are received with warmth, compassion, and understanding
- Empowerment – Courage to live life to the fullest
- Inspired – Motivated to move forward, to support others
- Respect – All are recognized as unique, beautiful individuals whose input and participation is valued
- Advocacy – We are a sisterhood which supports one another and the important message we share with the community. We strive to make a difference in the world.
- Integrity – We are well informed and share relevant, reliable information.
- Compassion – We take the time to understand one another’s needs, we treat one another with kindness. Together we make a difference.
After being diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2009, Kathleen Maxian felt the isolation and fear that comes with a new diagnosis of Ovarian Cancer, and did not know where to turn to find reliable information. In 2012 Maxian founded the Ovarian Cancer Project in response to a need for local support and evidence based information for women with ovarian & gynecologic cancer, their families and friends. Since that time the Ovarian Cancer Project has become an essential source of trusted information, guidance and support.
New brand spiral
Some think that the spiral is an ancient symbol of the cycles of life, growth and change. Some consider it a symbol of the spiritual journey. We think the spiral is the perfect symbol for the Ovarian Cancer Project as we join together on a journey of women supporting and empowering each other.